Monday, May 17, 2010

Saturday, the 15th

OK, I wanted adventure, I got it. But the next time I think about going off-road on a top heavy bike with street tires, just stop me. I mean it. Slap me upside the head if you have to. I tried to do the Forcella di Lavardet that John Hermann mentioned in his book. He called it "interesting, occasionally rough," and said "parts are unpaved." Hah! There's only a tiny part that is paved, if you ask me. I should have listened to the timber trucker who told me in German it was very rough and not advisable. I should have listened to the wood cutter who told me in Italian that it was very rough and that I would probably fall. But, no, I forged ahead. But just before the exquisite set of 16 paved hairpin turns that John mentioned, I made a wrong turn. I didn't see the paving and went left up the mountain. Steeper and steeper, the road got worse and worse. soft dust with lots of loose gravel. I tried to change from the right track to the cleaner left track and midway through, the rear wheel skidded out. I was now pointed offf the road and toward a steep dropoff. I grabbed both levers, put my feet down, and the bike fell on its side. I picked it up fairly easile and moved on, but slowly. It occured to me that if something happened I could be in real trouble because by this time it was obvious the road was rarely used. I started thinking about how long my little cache of food would last. I reached another big patch of loose ruts and got stuck. This was a stretch of 100 yards of mire. And it started to rain. I was burning the clutch trying to get traction. I finally unloaded all my gear and the saddlebags and got the bike past the rough part. I rode up another few hundred yards and got stuck again. This time, it looked like I'd have to carry the bike every inch for 100'. A nightmare. I had a hunch I was near the top of the pass, so to see if it was worth continuing, I took a walk. Sure enough, the pass was only a couple of hundred yards ahead. But it was Paso di Gola, not Forcella di Lavardet. Heh. I think I bagged a pass the King of the Alps hadn't done, even if I had to complete it on foot. But the sign at the top said it con tiued on to Sappada, not Comeglians. Oops. That wasn't good. So, I turned around and on my way back I saw where I had madee the wrong turn. I went up the right road and quickly found the set of paved hairpins. Yes, they were nice, but it was only a few hundred yards later that the paving stopped. Pushing forward through more soft spots, I came to a ford. The river was at least a foot deep and flowing strong. There was no way a motorcycle could make it past all that water. So, that's when I gave up, went all the way back to the highway and called it an adventure.

http://www.mapmyride.com/route/it/toblach/782127417234586403

Where I dropped it.


Paso di Gola is just out of view.



2 comments:

  1. Yeah, that's what I thought. But it was surprisingly loose, and the street tires weren't much better than race slicks. The gravel was just suspended in dust, and twisting the grip just threw it all out the back. Pushing a 700lb bike uphill didn't help, either. When I got back down to flatter land, it was much easier to fight through that stuff.

    ReplyDelete