Sunday, May 30, 2010

Random notes


The port at Bonifacio:


5-28-10
Oh well, just another fabulous one lane twisty bit of road in a ridiculously beautiful landscape. I can’t be getting jaded, now, can I?

Lots of critters in the road today – cows, cats, dogs, pigs, goats, crows, mockingbirds(?), oh, and the massive cowpies in the road

The half dozen pig carcasses hung on the fence by the road like some bizarre ritual warning.
 The cascades yesterday and today – yesterday was inviting, a bit cold but worth a skinny dip. Today was radical, too scary to get close to because of my slippery boots.
The group of 8 or 9 kids at the bar, one with a guitar, singing Corsican songs. A great sound. Folkish, patriotic, possibly traditional. The kids were totally into the music and couldn’t care less about anyone around them. They belted out some a capella tunes that seemed just melodies, but LOUD.
It hailed yesterday. I thought about curtailing the ride, but it looked clearer up in the mountains, so up I went. Sure enough, it was much nicer up there. Riding these roads in good weather is scary enough. The roads are OK in the rain, but I can’t imagine riding them in the winter or in the dark when the weather is really bad.
Last night in the Las Vegas Hotel – 1 star means a real dump, but the ladies who run it (2 old women and probably the daughter) are really nice. The lobby(?) has a painting of Napoleon, a pinball machine, a fussball table, a trophy for some card game tournament, a bunch of children’s toys, and a bouquet of beautiful big roses. And it’s full of the crap that families acquire and seem to stash everywhere.
I thought European riders were supposed to be fast. Or, at least faster than Americans.  I’ve seen very few who were much faster than I. I know I’m not that fast, but I sure feel comfortable on those roads.

2 comments:

  1. Where is the picture of the pigs on a fence?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's on the video. It'll have to wait til I get home. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete