Tuesday, May 25, 2010

OK, I'm pretty shitfaced, but I feel pretty good too. I've outlasted all but three germans out of 8 in a bout of drinking. I ran into them while trying to find a campsite near Porto, Corsica. This has been an incewdible day, considering. It's been the worst day, by far, of the trip, but also one of the best. To get the bad out of the way - last night, I got ripped off for the first time. A bait and switch over dinner. I asked for the 15.50 dinner and they suggested I could get the mixed fish instead, with a side salad and fried potatoes. OK, but that cost me almost double the 15.50, and I never got the potatoes.
That was last night. I got over the dinner issue. It was a good meal, after all, in spite of all the fish bones I had to pick through. This morning, though, AAARGH! I lost one glove offf the back of the bike, went back to find it, then lost both gloves later, and went back and found them. I swore I wouldn't let my alzheimers lose anything else, but then I left my good camera lens on top of the sidecase when I rode off. It was everal miles later wqhen I realised it. I rode back and found the lens in pieces on the ground. @%#$*U%^^ (insert major profanity here. And continue for a while.)
But the ride has been incredible. Corsica is amazing. Wild, rugged, untamed country. It erupts from the sea, mountains lurching skyward. People cling to the landscape, precariously tied to cliffsides. Roads can't get any narrower, nor any more precipitous. So I wound my way to Porto, with a stop for coffee and pastry served by Elvina, then a chocolate crepe and a glass of wine at some little town.

At Porto, I had a great dinner. Fish soup (served in a tureen, with croutons, garlic, cheese, and mustard on the side. Huh? What's the procedure there?) That was followed by an entree of yellow rice and steamed veggies (eggplant, squash, etc,) and fillet of dorado (I think that's what doraude is,) and tiramisu for desert. When I say great, I mean it was incredibly delicious. Start to finish, every bite, andthe two glasses of local white wine were just right, too.

Just as the waiter delivered the bill, the sun started setting. An awesome sunset. No green flash, but very close. Then it was off to find a campsite and here I am, with a bunch of German Harley riders on vacation.
:::::
hmmm. This is really a challenge. I'm typing this on a french keyboard in Ajaccio. The keys are completely different. The period is an uppercase, the a and q keys are switched, etc. And it costs 2 bucks every 15 minutes. I can't do it. It takes me 3 or 4 tries to type every word. Ah well, catch up wid ya later.

The Germans, the morning after:


Elvina:

Where I broke my lens:


A few shots of Corsica:

3 comments:

  1. Drinking with Germans? - Oh my - You are brave - Thanks for your blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made the final for against germans? Impressive! In corsica of all places...lucky so and so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remember Beer Fest? too bad it wasn't the Swedes you were having a drinking contest with. Beware of Das Boot! Still, Good Job!

    ReplyDelete