Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Alan Jay Lerner was flat out dead wrong.


The rain in Spain does NOT stay mainly in the plain. It stays in the friggin mountains, where you’d expect it to be. And where I should have expected it. But, noooo, I just blithely expected MY path to be clear and easy. And it was, while I followed a suggestion by one of the UKRMers. The road from Bouleternere to Amelie les Bains really is a blast. The sort of twisty, turny road you can really get into a rhythm while riding. It wasn’t until I crossed over into Spain an hour later that the rains started in earnest. Earnest – that’s a euphemism for cats, dogs, elephants and orangutans. It poured. I found out my waterproof gear lost its waterproofness a while ago. It was all fine the first few weeks of the trip, through a lot of rain. But this stuff was a flood. And it soaked my boots, my socks, my gloves, and my crotch. So much for the great Helly Hansen rain trou. I was so miserable; I stopped in Puigcerda at 4:30 for the day. I took a siesta in a hotel and woke up around 7pm. I figured I’d take a walk around the town. Puigcerda is a Spanish town on the French border not far from Andorra. It sits on a little hill in a valley surrounded by the Pyrenees. So I walked into the center of town, through some narrow cobblestone alleyways, and turned the corner to find a square that overlooked the valley.  Wow! The skies had cleared and the entire range was in view. Incredible.
The next day, I rode to Andorra, which is a modern fairy tale principality. Beautiful alpine views of snowy peaks above, coupled with duty-free shopping everywhere else you look. It’s a motorcyclist’s dream, because every maker of bikes or accessories in the world has an outlet there. I found a supermarket of moto gear and bought new gloves, boots and rain trou. Just in time, too, because as soon as I left Andorra, it started to rain again. Solid rain, off and on until I reached Barcelona 2 days later. Which may not be on the plains, but it ain’t in the mountains, which is where the rain stays, mainly, in Spain.

No comments:

Post a Comment